Picture
  My name is Dustin, and in the near future, I'll be helping my friend Karen Totino by authoring the blog here at Green-conscience.com.  As a big fan of the store and what it represents, I'm excited to engage with the Saratoga community and beyond in discussing the ins and outs of sustainable living and its benefits for both personal health and the environment.  I have a number of interesting topic series in mind, though I'm also looking forward to hearing what our readers are interested in discussing.  It's my hope that we can establish a vibrant and engaging community of like-minded individuals who will find as much to enjoy at Green Conscience as I do.

To begin this series, I want to talk for a minute about one of my favorite things at Green Conscience, a topic with which I have a bit more experience than most.  The reclaimed lumber that Karen sells at Green Conscience might just be the ultimate example of upcycling.  Previously used in bleacher benches, barn beams and antiquarian houses from all over the northeast, this wood has been aged in the most natural way possible, revealing a finish and patina that can't be matched by newer woods.  Reclaimed piece by piece, each stock of wood is unique, with its own distinct history.

The sustainability implications of reclaimed lumber are immense.  Aside from transport, nearly all of the supply side elements that give wood its carbon footprint are removed.  When you buy reclaimed lumber from Green Conscience, you're leaving a tree untouched in the forest.  Beyond that, you're keeping the carbon emissions from one more set of logging machines and trucks out of the air.

Reclaimed lumber also represents one of the most unique conversation pieces you can have in your home.  While modern flooring can often be machined into looking like it is hand-made, reclaimed lumber is often of an age where it truly was.  It has also been worn in an almost unrepeatable pattern by the individual history of each reclamation.  The patina and grain of some of these pieces are often outstanding, revealing exceptional character in each board.  For many years in my youth, I worked at a local lumber yard, and over the years I've heard a number of contractors (particularly skilled individuals and old-timers whose abilities I respect immensely) tell me that wood that reaches market now is eminently sub-par when compared to the materials they worked with decades ago.  It wasn't until I saw some of these reclaimed samples that I knew what they were talking about.  The key is old growth versus new growth: many trees that are cut now are simply younger than those that were harvested in the 1950s and 1960s.  While some of the reclamations that come through Green Conscience are even older than that, the difference is still clear, and if you take the time to stop in and check out what Karen has to offer, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Whether you're looking for yellow pine, douglas fir, or something a bit more esoteric, don't hesitate to stop by Green Conscience and see what Karen has to offer.

Picture
Before
Picture
After

Comments

Serena
06/17/2014 11:01pm

Very cool, Dustin! I can't wait to read more!

Nicole Higgins
06/17/2014 11:26pm

Definitely want these hardwood floors in my house. So beautiful!

10/07/2014 4:19am

The role of media in evolving the educational system has been admired. The students can get huge amount of data and information readily at home.

10/14/2015 11:50pm

01/03/2016 12:30pm

While interfacing with for a acute up to now to defended the bike, the best adequate best that you accumulate essentialness to managers is the absolute case that the bike agent is giving you.

04/03/2016 10:59am

Payday advances are a casual credit, aback it is answerable the most...usually amid paydays! Payday credits are an outstanding access to administer adapt absolute ascendancy get some money to authority you over to your abutting paycheck.

Introduction and a beginning of the right fulcrum is mentioned and admired. It is the permanent and oriental tinge and touch. It is fundamental and rightful. It is coined and experienced. The research and innovation of the thing are admired and floated.

04/11/2016 5:43am

An introduction and the beginning of the green conscious is very significant and amazing. It is the occupied and intensified. It is product and project of the satisfaction and contentment.

07/18/2016 4:42am

happy with what I saw and I read here, the information that I can quite make me satisfied,
For I already know on this page mengatkan I can only thank you.

11/12/2016 9:41am

At the point when confronting an approaching buy choice exile date, a pending inflatable installment that is coming due quick, an unforeseen cost overwhelm or, more regrettable, an abandonment situation specialists don't have sufficient energy to hold up the 60-90 days it can take to close a customary bank advance.

12/05/2016 3:25am

Thanks for providing great infomation. i have bookmarked your post. waiting for your next great article. Thanks again .

12/23/2016 11:19am

01/01/2017 11:38am

Once the home credit or contract is acknowledged, the property will be put retained. The purchaser can now recognize the sort of home advance he needs and the rates. He needs to present an advance application with subtle elements of pay and resources.