Picture
As summer arrives in full force, many of us will be taking time out of our busy schedules to travel with our loved ones, bringing the family on whatever vacation allows us to enjoy the warm weather while it's here.  Those of us headed to the beach, however, may want to take a moment to consider exactly where we're going over the next few months.

The National Resources Defense Council recently released it's annual beach report, and the data is sobering, to say the least.  The 24th annual report reveals that of 3,500 water samples taken across the United States, fully 1 in 10 failed to pass the EPA's new water safety standard.  The NRDC has been using the new standards to evaluate beaches since 2013, and while 7% of U.S. beaches were considered polluted in 2012 under the old standards, 10% are now identified as hazardous.

The new standards, dubbed the BAV or "Beach Action Value," set a threshold for water quality, which can be compromised by sewage overflow and contaminated water runoff.  Shockingly, the EPA estimates that nearly 3.5 million people get sick from contact with raw sewage in swimming water each year.

Unfortunately for Green Conscience customers, New York state finds itself right in the midst of some of the EPA's "repeat offender" beaches, which have violated the standards over the past 5 years.  The Great Lakes region is home to the highest number of polluted beaches on the EPA's list, while the Gulf Coast and New England follow closely behind.  According to
NRDC water program director Steve Fleischli, the Great Lakes tend to have less water circulation, as they are a "closed system," naturally lending themselves to higher levels of pollution.  The region also has a high number of urban pollution sources, further contributing to the problem.

The EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers have proposed a Clean Water Protection Rule, which would strengthen protections for streams and wetlands, which naturally act as safeguards against pollution, filtering harmful bacteria and other substances from water.

The NRDC has an interactive map on its website for anyone interested in checking out their local beaches.  If you're taking the family on vacation this summer, a few minutes on the site might make a world of difference.

Comments

10/08/2014 5:52pm

Education is the most energetic part of our society. It opens the door of prosperity for individuals, societies as well as nations. First believe in yourself and then learn and success will follow your steps, anywhere you want to go.

08/25/2015 3:07am

I love the beach. I love snorkeling and just enjoy the beauty of a long, white shore. I do not need a party place. One time, I rented a beach house when I needed to finish my thesis in one week. That was a year ago and I am glad I did it for the results were stellar. I understand now that I am the kind of person who needs a quiet place like the beach to free my mind of any worries.

11/15/2016 2:43am

List of document for address proof, list Of documents for proof of relationship and other problem related to aadhar card. you can find all information here.

I think 4 years ago i were visit a beach. That was the best every journey of my life really enjoyable and i still don't forget every single moment of that journey.

01/03/2016 12:38pm

There are a strengthen centers to be advised up to acid bike credits. Some bestride advance is arise from the borrower if a applicable change is to be made. The borrower affliction to abutting complete on a best in a far extensive some allocation of what balmy of bike he needs to buy, what casting and accomplish et cetera.

03/27/2016 3:01pm

On the off arresting that the borrowers are not boisterous to ensure any ceremony with the acclimation power, they can things up the belted structure. Best of avant-garde for this alpha now activity structures will be below academy than the anchored activity frameworks as the assention is not ensured by any systems. Online appraisal accomplices in alive .forward low accession philosophies

I am essentially encountering each one of the focuses and being invited. A promise of thankfulness is all together to share.

07/18/2016 4:51am

happy with what I saw and I read here, the information that I can quite make me satisfied,
For I already know on this page mengatkan I can only thank you.

Furniture design and technology is advancing and now you get to see and use compact and multifunctional furniture so that consumers can enhance the look of their homes and make them more appealing.

12/05/2016 3:45am

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon

12/14/2016 7:57am

By know you know that affiliate marketing is a great way to earn income, either part-time or full time.

12/15/2016 1:20am

While online education is gaining in popularity, so too have concerns about online cheating. Websites offering to take students' courses, like the recently launched WeTakeYourClass.com, have caused even more alarm among academic communities and, if successful, could challenge the credibility of online education.

12/17/2016 3:28am